Saturday, September 11, 2021

Twenty Years Ago

   On the morning of September 11th, 2001, I was getting ready for work. It was about 7:30 am CDT, and the first plane had hit the World Trade Center. At the time, everyone thought this was some sort of tragic accident. We weren't aware, at the time, of the events that were taking place. When I got to work, it was all anyone was talking about. A small TV was set up in one of the rooms and as I ate lunch, I watched events unfold. Eventually, both towers collapsed. The Pentagon was also attacked and the White House was targeted by United Airlines Flight 93 but it crashed in Pennsylvania when some of the passengers overpowered the terrorists.

  Now 20 years later, I sit here watching 102 Minutes that Changed America on the History Channel. I caught the six part 9/11 series shown the National Geographic Channel over the course of 4 days. I still have a copy of the Racine Journal Times newspaper that reported on the attack as well as a copy of the Sept. 24th, 2001 issue of People Weekly. The cover shows United 175 mere moments before it hit the South Tower. One of the other things I have is a steel bracelet that commemorates the heroes of Flight 93.




  


No comments:

Post a Comment