Friday, July 9, 2021

Dungeons and Dragons Museum Proposed in Lake Geneva

   The granddaddy of all roleplaying games, Dungeons & Dragons, is going to get its own museum in Lake Geneva, WI. The game was created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson in 1974. The game was an offshoot of the medieval war game, Chainmail. Both games were originally published by Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) 

  I had the pleasure of meeting both Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson at Gen Con. Gary signed my copies of the Chainmail rules, the 2000 Gen Con guide and my first edition Dungeon Master's Guide. Arneson signed my copies of the original Blackmoor campaign setting and the 3.5 edition update.

  Dungeons & Dragons, and roleplaying games in general, have been a big part of my life. I started playing in November or December of 1979. My mom had a subscription to Games Magazine at the time. During the holiday season, the magazine had an insert listing the top 100 games of that year. D&D was listed among them. I purchased one of the early boxed sets from the local K-Mart.

  Now, some 42 years later, I have a sizable roleplaying game collection. I have horror based games like Call of Cthulhu, science fiction games like Gamma World and Cyberpunk and humor based games like Hol and Paranoia

No comments:

Post a Comment