Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Signs of the Times

  The pandemic has caused quite a few changes in the way we live our lives. Masks are being required at my workplace. Only essential businesses are up and running. Restaurants are conducting business online and by phone with curbside pickup or contactless delivery. Numerous EDC (every day carry) devices are being offered on Kickstarter. Most of these are made from copper or the copper alloy, brass. Brass, bronze and copper are known to be antimicrobial and kill a variety of microorganisms relatively quickly. The devices in question are meant to be used for touching frequently touched surfaces like keypads, elevator buttons, door handles etc. You use them to touch these surfaces thus keeping any microorganisms from coming into contact with your skin. The copper or brass surface then kills them.
  Some of these devices include the Safepoint Antimicrobial Door Opener, the Careful KeyCuPID and the one I've purchased, the Hygiene Hand. Search EDC on Kickstarter to see more devices like these. I've purchased three virus masks from a seller on Etsy. Now me, my Mom and my Dad have reuseable and washable face protection. I got the Navy camo pattern because the material is thicker on those and the Army camo masks.
  The pandemic has delayed many of the Kickstarters I've pledged to. Elderwood Academy was shut down for a time thus delaying the crafting of my mini Spellbook. The Hexacube, Overkill d20 and Critical Dice sets are status unknown at present. Since China manufactures the dice for these Kickstarters, the sellers have to wait until the factories are up and running again. On the plus side, the Debunked card games have been printed and are due to be mailed out soon. I'm still waiting to hear from the people that made my Mindflayer Turn Keeper regarding the extra set of magnetic and battlefield tokens I ordered.
  On the medical side of things, I had a meeting with my endocrinologist recently. I've been prescribed two new meds, metformin and dulaglutide (Trulicity). Technically, the metformin isn't new. When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was prescribed metformin. With the addition of these two drugs, my blood glucose readings have lowered. I'm finally getting readings below 150 mg/dl on a fairly consistent basis. If I can keep this up, I can get my a1c to 7 or below and get my right hip replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment